HISTORY OF WESTFORK

Westfork.Lookout.House

Fog Rising on the Lake - View from Lookout House

Fog Rising on the Lake - View from Lookout House

In 1958, two business partners, Roy Brown and Melvin McClure purchased a section of land in Canadian County, Oklahoma.  Roy and Melvin purchased the land as a retreat from the big-city life.

Roy and Melvin lived in Bethany Oklahoma with their families and owned the Brown-McClure Lumber Company, which supplied a great deal of lumber and building supplies to the thriving Bethany and Northwest Oklahoma City area during the 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's.

The land in Canadian County, which was affectionately just known as "The Farm" by family and friends, was developed by Roy and Melvin to include several lakes that includes the main lake which is formally known today as the Brown-McClure Reservoir.  Water stretches along the entire east side of the property and provides some of the best fishing and breathtaking views in the Oklahoma City area.  

The name Westfork was not associated with the land until the 1980's when Roy and Verl Brown's son, Don Brown and his wife Donetta purchased the interest in the land.  The name Westfork came about initially, in jest, as a spin-off name from the 1980's TV series Dallas, where the Ewings ranch was known as Southfork.  The name Westfork stuck and has been known as that ever since.

Island Bridge on Lake Ketchafishee

Island Bridge on Lake Ketchafishee

Westfork is a historical property, in that it borders the Chisholm Trail on the east. The Chisholm Trail was a trail used in the post-Civil War era to drive cattle overland, from the south trading post near the Red River to The North trading post near Kansas City. 

The now-defunct St. Louis, El Reno and Western Railway also passed by Westfork. This railroad extended the line coming from El Reno through Richland and into Piedmont, then on to the old state capitol, Guthrie, Oklahoma. 

Stagecoach lines also used to pass on the Chisholm Trail. It is likely cowboys rode through Westfork and some probably bedded down by the creek overnight. 

Westfork is also the home to an 1800's farm house that has become defunct over the years. The house was complete with a basement and sits on the southwest corner of the property. Some of the wood from the old house has been used to build works-of-art by the Brown's grand-daughter, Kayla Brown. 

Westfork has been used by the family over the years for hunting and fishing sports and the variety of terrain has been home to many animals including deer, bobcats, armadillos, raccoons, possums, coyotes, dove, eagles, hawks, owls, a variety of wild birds and a mountain lion was spotted close to the land not long ago.  Westfork now serves as a sanctuary to the animals and hunting no longer takes place on the property.